Saturday, March 19, 2011

I've got that "Seventies" feeling!

Macramé was something my co-workers and I learned on our lunch breaks at Southwestern Bell Telephone Company, back in the seventies when I was an accounting clerk at the 105 E. 2nd office in Wichita, Kansas.

We accomplished many crafty tasks during our lunch hours, making friends with many of the 200 accounting-types who joined us in our creative endeavors, which included oil painting, crochet, paper mâche, and plant propagation. We had a marvelous boss, Dolores, who put up with our antics and even enjoyed our silly chatter and fun. She never crafted though. Looking back, I doubt she took lunch "hours."

I'll never forget my hands-on macramé friends and the projects we completed, mostly bead and picot decorated plant hangers that held our cherished strawberry begonias and green and white striped airplane plants (otherwise known as a spider plant). So, when my mom and I tried, to no avail, to find plant hangers last summer, to show off our growing potted plants around the house and yard, I offered to make some. Well, here we are almost one year later, and just now getting the first one completed. Finally, I set today aside to re-learn the knots and find patterns from long ago.

Perusing the web today, I came across a variety of sites that offer free macrame patterns and knot-tying instructions, you will find them listed below.

It's always fun to remember the fun you shared being crafty. Take time today to create a memory, and ask someone to join you!

Thank you for perusing my blog today. Come back again soon and bring a friend with you!



Okay, cord on ring, ring on toe, square knot with a pretty picot! 
Oh, my! This takes us back to the seventies: re-learning macrame today! 
Relaxing and fun, 
and u'll have a plant hanger when ur done! :)

Links:

http://www.macramelovers.com/blog/

http://www.free-macrame-patterns.com/basic-plant-han



First attempt at macrame since the seventies. If I had known mom would want it hung in her bedroom, i would have made it longer and added beads! Well, that's for another day. This was a practice one! :)

Cheers, friends!
 

2 comments:

  1. You should try the new style of macrame, called micro macrame. My wife was turned onto it about a year ago when she accidentally came across some designs that she loved. Digging further she found out they were made using micro macrame. She learned all she could and started looking for designs she liked. But she couldn't find simple, elegant designs. So she started creating her own. You might like some of the new designs. I helped her setup a site to share her patterns. You can find it here: Demure Designs. Anyway, thanks for the post. I'll let her know I found this and have her check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited your online micro macrame website, Steve. I remember doing a bit of jewelry macrame in the 70's; however, I believe we used a waxed cord...in one color...brown! LOL! I didn't know about C-Lon micro cord...thanks to your post, I've been enlightened...it's beautiful "thread!" Since I love crocheting with 70, 20 and 10 weight cotton crochet thread...I will LOVE tiny macrame, as well.

    Thanks so much for the heads up! I really appreciate the knowledge. I'll be visiting your site again soon!
    :)

    ReplyDelete