Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Astilbes are UP...Along With Various Other Green Treasures!

Are you crocheters/gardeners like me this week? I cannot seem to get back to crochet, at least for a few days now. Spring planting, and outdoor work is taking my time and interest.  The Astilbes that we planted last week have peeked their heads up through the cool soil and we will soon be planting Hosta next to them.

The Astible rhizomes are up!
Speaking of cool dirt, I love sticking my bare hands in a  flower bed, moving leaves and finding surprises! Yesterday I uncovered a Clematis vine that I thought had expired in the August heat last year.  It felt like a resurrection as I gently pulled the vine up through a pile of dead leaves!
A Surprise Clematis!

I also love taking care of my indoor plants. I have this amazing house plant that is woody and viney, and once a year it blooms purple! I don't know what it is. Anyone have any ideas?

Woody vine, blooms purple, anyone know what this is?

I take a tour through the yard most every morning, checking to see what "new" thing I can see. This morning I found blooms on the Crab Apple tree we planted last Spring!
Little Crab Apple Tree!

Love these little ornamental trees! Crab Apple.

We took some time yesterday to pull weeds, place stones and rocks around a new flower bed, and trim back the non-producing (otherwise known as dead) limbs on the roses and dwarf Red Barberry bushes.  It is looking much greener and neater in our yard now. 

Are you like me? I think my love for propagation of plants is a little obsessive. When I was in my twenties I signed my mom and myself up for a local continuing ed plant propagation course, and now I recently am going through another course; and pondering starting a mini-green house soon, and selling "line plants."  Soon for me is within five years! (smile) We will see where that goes. Using knowledging of propagation for your own yard is worth spending time gleaning a professional thing or two from a good teacher.

Here are the pictures I took while "uncovering" my treasures from their winter mulch today!

Garlic Chilves
Painted Daisies
Purple Asters
Columbine
Shasta Daisies
The weather has turned a bit cooler, so I'll be taking a day or two off from my treasure hunting. If it is warmer where you are...happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment